On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:43:02AM +0300, Angelin Lalev wrote:
> Earlier today mostly out of curiosity I installed OpenBSD for the
> first time. I used it to replace perfectly sound installation of
> debian+lighttpd which served some big files in my home network.
> Unfortunately I'm noticing drastic performance degradation.
> The debian server achieved speeds that were well into the megabyte per
> second range. Now
>  OpenBSD + httpd (the included apache 1.3) on the same machine (P4
> 2,4) gives me only 20Kbit/sec traffic on 100Mbit Ethernet which is
> rather weird and actually had me checking cables, switches and duplex
> modes. It seems that everything is ok with them.
>
> Is it possible this limitation to be result of some OpenBSD
> configuration option that I'm missing?

As a rule, openbsd doesn't need extensive kernel tweaking, even minor
kernel tweaking is very rare.

You didn't post a dmesg, so I can't comment on anything in hardware
support that would affect performance. Posting a dmesg when you have a
problem or are asking a question is a very good idea, because it
contains a ton of information.

Note that your test-case changes two variables: you changed operating
system (linux/debian vs openbsd) and http server (lighttpd vs apache
1.3). Also, the circumstances under which the performance was measured
is not specified; measured performance often tests very different to
real world traffic.

Anyway, insufficient information to process your question, more input
required. :)
--
Ariane