Those are my numbers.It was running during my normal work :

10 x  Xterm in one of them is ogg123 playing song
1 x FF3 with 7 tabs
1 x Pidgin with 5 tabs
2 x rdesktop to Win servers
1 x ssh connection to company server
1 x vpnc
softdep is on on all partitions

I don't think that those numbers are bad,because ports.tar.gz has a
lot of small files.And I use OpenBSD for many good reasons like
stabitilty,security,quality,community and documentation.So if
sometimes it's slower then other OS's  I don't care if it isn't a bug
;-)

$ uname -a
OpenBSD hexempo.eu.tieto.com 4.5 GENERIC.MP#78 i386
$

$ dd if=/dev/arandom of=test.dat bs=1024 count=10000
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
10240000 bytes transferred in 0.106 secs (96246029 bytes/sec)
$

$ time tar xzf ports.tar.gz
    2m19.16s real     0m1.41s user     0m5.45s system
$

--
http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html