On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:12 PM, openbsder <openbs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am currently interested in setting up a three-legged network topology,
> using OBSD+PF as the firewall appliance. Originally, I was going to simply
> have the firewall equipped with three network cards: one for DMZ, one for
> LAN, the other for EXT/WAN/Internet (whatever you call this). The idea was
> for a switch to be used on both DMZ and LAN, providing NAT on both
> segments.
> Pretty straight forward.
>
> Recently, it has been suggested that a transparent firewall implementation
> is ideal where possible. But as far as I understand, transparency is only
> available when the firewall acts as a bridge between TWO networks. How
> would
> I keep my DMZ and LAN both while using a bridging firewall. Is it even
> possible?

What do you mean? Whether OpenBSD supports bridging? Whether PF supports
L2-based filtering? Whether you can have two interfaces in a bridge and
have, at the same time, L2-based filtering and L3-based filtering?

By L2-based filtering I mean having the firewall inspect frames/packets from
interfaces that are bridged together that do not have an IP address
configured (i.e. L2-switching).

--
http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/disclaimer/