I've tried to do include the panic and trace with the screenshots i
attached, i'm afraid i dont know another way to get the info across.
I can appreciate the devs not being able to look at the/each virtualization
issue, i was just hopeing someone knew what was going on.

Before reading on: the system seems to work fine with the bsd.mp of the 4.5
snapshot of 26/4/2009 as Stuart Henderson suggested.

Now to be of some use atleast:

" tricked network card to flexible "
Default the vmware esxi only makes the E1000 network card available to the
"Other 64-bit" guest os. (which is also recommended by vmware)
If you set it to linux 32-bit or something along those lines, you can add a
"flexible" network card, which openbsd picks up on as a pcn/AMD PCnet-PCI
device.
After which, you can switch back to "Other 64-bit" and the network card will
stay as flexible.
With a bit of testing on performance, i found this "network card" to perform
much better than the e1000 over a virtual switch in vmware with no actual
network card attached to it. (This was OpenBSD 4.4 unpatched). I'd be happy
to test this out with 4.5 current as well.

The actual (relevant?) hardware in the server:
proc: AMD Phenom 9350e Quad-Core processor 4x2Ghz
mobo: Supermicro H8SMI-2 rev 2 (MCP55 Pro chipset, incl dual lan)
mem: 8GB ECC bank interleaving set
(still waiting on the raid card and the ipmi device)

That is not actually 2 physical sockets/processors on the board, but the
hardware chosen is in the supported list on the vmware site.
I will look into this a bit further, cheers!

Thanks for taking the time to answer :)