From: "J.C. Roberts" <list-...@designtools.org>
To: "Johan Fredin" <jo...@spelaroll.se>

On 09-05-07 05.00, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> If anyone here mistakenly thinks they can actually run *ANALYSIS* at
> these speeds with off the shelf components...
>
> BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well, depends on what you mean by "off the shelf". Procera Networks
is doing layer 7 analysis at 40Gbps FD with their PacketLogic PL10k.
The hardware used for this is sourced from companies that anyone can
by hardware from as far as I know.

Of course it's not x86 stuff, but it's off the shelf. :)

This is really rather getting off topic, but I would suggest that 'off the shelf' only applies when there are many well known shelves where the kit may easily be obtained, preferably with multiple implementations of the hardware. If you can't drive to a random three decent suppliers and find it in one of them, it is not 'off the shelf'.

If the kit can be obtained from a restricted set of sources and features highly up to date technology, yet basically only requires money and a phone call to start the process it is 'leading edge' (if it features old technology it is now over the hill and is 'legacy')

If you're calling a company to source FPGA/DSPs or to contract someone to make it for you, you're now into the 'bleeding edge'

PK