I recall seeing in the samba docs that setting the account info in
samba could optionally also add the entries on the unix side - meaning
you only need to set set it once. I'm hazy on the details, perhaps look
into alternatives to using LDAP. When I've done this I've always
entered them separately.

One unrelated point I'd like to make is performance - I've found
really annoying connection delays, particularly with word and excel.
Transfer rates are ok, it's opening and saving files that's an
issue.
Extensive googling and I could make it tolerable at best. As this is
for a client, it's proved to be an embarasment. I would dearly love to
find I'm doing something wrong, and I expect that I will, but my
advice would be to check it out without committing yourself, if
that's possible.
I did find one article on the net that said that all bsd's suffer
performance issues with samba, and the Samba docs do seem to be
completely linux-centric.
I'll check out the link below.

paul