On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:02:05AM -0400, Mark Romer wrote:
> Hello, just a simple question.  We have here at work a old hand at openbsd
> and he says he only uses openbsd versions that are even numbered. (3.8, 4.0,
> 4.2, 4.4 etc.......)  I am not sure why, did not have a chance to ask him.
> I believe that you should use the latest version available, but what does
> everything else think?

Perhaps he was thinking of the venerable Linux kernel numering scheme.
OpenBSD isn't like that. Ideally you should upgrade every six months to
the newest release.

The only reason I can think to skip every other release is that releases
continue to be supported for a year, so you *can* upgrade only once each
year and still get errata patches. However, upgrading is so simple that
doing so twice each year is not a burden.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchand...@stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/