Many, many  thanks to all who responded!

I now plan to run my OpenBSD
firewall *stand-alone* on directly on a Soekris box for sure (no VM) and
isolate all else on a separate box running the ESXi that fully supports the
ESXi HCL.

Many thanks to all the developers and especially Theo for creating
IMHO the world's greatest OS!!

--- On Thu, 5/21/09, Kevin Wilcox

obiozorok...@yahoo.com
> Cc: misc@openbsd.org
> Date: Thursday, May 21, 2009,
11:39 AM
> 2009/5/21  <obiozorok...@yahoo.com>:
>
> > I'll have to re-think
this but I
> > honestly thought (I guess I'm wrong) that if I my
> first
OpenBSD VM image
> > running on ESXi as my strong firewall I would be ok. B

Basically its just a
> > virtualization of my physical environment but all on
> one box with 3 VM
> images.
> > So my idea was to have second OpenBSD image
(not the
> firewall OpenBSD
> image)
> > running with Samba as my Domain
Controller and File
> server, and Email
> server
> > and then the third
Windows VM running just the custom
> app. B I figured that
> as
> > long as
all the 'Net traffic hit my first OpenBSD VM
> and was properly
> filtered

and controlled by pf, spam greylisting, brute force
> checked, etc I would be
> > ok? B No?
>
> There are some strategic issues with virtualising a

firewall.

> What should be the simplest, most rock solid member of your

network is
> now on the same hardware as <foo> virtual machines.
> If one of
the
> application servers is compromised then it's *possible*
> that the

VMWare server itself could be compromised, rendering the
> firewall VM
> under
the control of The Bad Guys. If one of the VMs screws
> the pooch
> and takes
down the server then you've not only lost the
> ability to
> communicate with
those servers, you've lost the ability to
> communicate
> with your firewall.
If one of the application VMs isn't
> configured
> with proper resource limits
then performance on the
> firewall will drop
> under periods of heavy traffic.
For that matter, you've
> already
> introduced overhead on throughput of the
firewall by
> forcing traffic
> to be received by the VM OS before it's
received by
> OpenBSD. If the VM
> server is compromised then the things that
can be done to
> traffic
> without ever actually disrupting the firewall are
almost
> certainly fun
> fun fun (in all fairness, I haven't tried mucking
with
> traffic on
> ESX/i, this is based entirely in speculation).
>
> I'm
sure there are obvious things that I'm missing but
> these are the
> ones that
blast the loudest through my brain when I think
> about
> virtualising a
firewall. As I stated before, I have done it
> and there
> are a few that I
maintain - and they do their job well -
> but that
> doesn't mean I condone
the practice in general and it
> surely doesn't
> suggest that I think it's
something that should be done on
> a whim or
> with a light attitude. It is
dangerous and unsupported and
> you need to
> understand there is significant
risk in doing so.

> kmw
>
> --
> To take from one, because it is thought
that his own
> industry and that
> of his fathers has acquired too much, in
order to spare to
> others,
> who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal
industry and
> skill, is
> to violate arbitrarily the first principle of
association,
> bthe
> guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his
industry,