On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Jason Dixon <ja...@dixongroup.net> wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 09:10:58AM -0400, Donald Allen wrote:
>>
>> So, I'd like to ask why grub is apparently unsupported on the amd64
>> architecture? And I would suggest that grub provides a simple solution
>> to dual-booting OpenBSD on a system that had been previously
>> dual-booted with Windows and something else and where the Windows
>> version of the mbr is no longer present. I'd be happy to provide the
>> documentation for the procedure to add to the install guide, if the
>> developers are interested.
>
> Save yourself some headaches.  Use GAG.
>
> http://gag.sourceforge.net/

I looked over the documentation. Yes, for dual-booting OpenBSD with
Windows, this looks fine, very nice. And I'll concede that it's a bit
easier to configure than grub (it guides you through the
configuration, rather than your having to make up a menu.lst), but
when there's a grub package available, as there is with i386 OpenBSD,
the difference isn't great, especially for someone like me with years
of experience with grub, or if good documentation is available
explaining how to do it.

Though it isn't important in the Windows/OpenBSD case, it appears that
GAG is less general than grub, in the sense that it is assuming
there's a loader in the partition boot record of every partition you
want to boot and appears to always use the grub chainloader technique.
This is not a problem for OpenBSD, which installs its bootloader in
its partition boot record when you tell it during installation that
you aren't going to use the whole disk. But it is a problem if you
want to, say, triple-boot Windows, OpenBSD, and Linux. Linux will
require installing grub in its partition boot record, as the GAG
author notes in his document. In that situation, it would make more
sense, I think, to skip GAG and let the Linux installer install grub
in the mbr for booting all three. In that setup, Linux would be booted
by grub directly, not via a secondary loader.

/Don