2009/6/3 Friedrich Locke <friedrich.lo...@gmail.com>:
> Dear gentleman/madam,
>
> i would like to use openbsd in order to build a SAN solution, i.e.,
> one that provides block access to the box's disks.
> I want to build a SAN, not a NAS. Is it possible?
>
> Thank in advance.

I'm no expert, and I've never worked with SANs, but since the defining
characteristic of a SAN is that it makes remote storage devices appear
locally attached to the OS, let me ask:

Do you want remote storage devices appear locally attached to other
OpenBSD servers, or to what kind of server?

Granted, depending on the protocol used/design of your SAN it may not
matter much, as things like SCSI, ATA over Ethernet, etc. ought to be
OS-agnostic, but still I'm curious, and sort of trying to understand
where you're going with this.

Also --and I apologize if this is too trivial-- if I were asked to
implement a SAN, I would first of all try to be specific and see what
protocol would be required, or, if I were able/expected to build a new
SAN from scratch and choose a protocol/decide how to implement it
myself, then I'd try to figure out what makes the short list, and in
this case, if any of those programs/drivers are available for, or can
be ported to OpenBSD. I'd e.g. look at this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_area_network#Network_types
and google for those technologies in the misc archives (haven't done
this, but I'm not the one gunning for a SAN).
So precisely what SAN technologies/software/hardware are you trying to
use with OpenBSD?

For what it's worth, the opposite --accessing an existing SAN from
OpenBSD-- seems to have been discussed in the past:
http://marc.info/?t=123514246300004&r=1&w=2

regards,
--ropers