On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Richard Toohey
<richardtoo...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On 3/06/2009, at 10:02 PM, BARDOU Pierre wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have performance issues on a OpenBSD 4.4 firewall.
>> CPU load is OK (always below 50%), but system load is always between 1 and
>> 1.5, it may go up to 2 sometimes.
>>
> [cut]
>
> And what is the actual *problem*?
>
> What is pf failing to do?
>
> Or are you just worried about the numbers? B Search the archives for "high
> load" ...

just for the record, i have seen a server where its typical load
floats around 0.10 or so, but then something will happen and the
plateau will get bumped to 1.10 and remain there. this was an 4.5
system.

I have not identified what "event" caused this. I've seen similar
issue with a couple of linux boxes at work where the load avg plateau
will keep rising: it'll hover around ~3, then say ~6 then ~13. i don't
think the issues are related, but could be caused by similar bugs in
kernel.

All systems continue to be responsive and it only seems that the
reported load avg value is just bumped by a base value. It is
definitely odd.

--patrick