Hello!

I am using RAIDframe (using RAID 1) on 4.5 release, and am quite
satisfied with it.

After an unclean shutdown, the parity status of the array
expectedly shows "DIRTY"; the documentation (and common sense)
strongly suggests that the parity be re-written as soon as
possible, if the RAID shall remain of any use. Appropriately,
rc(8) calls `raidctl -P all` on boot, thus automatically
initializing the rewrite if necessary.

Unfortunately, this process takes several hours, and rc patiently
waits until raidctl returns -- only *then* continuing with fsck
and so on. If I interrupt (^C) at this point, the re-writing does
not stop, but transparently continues in the background (as I
have read somewhere in the documentation but did not find again).
rc then goes on as usual, fscking and booting and everything is
fine.

Most of the machines have no kind of USV (since those are deemed
"too expensive" by the people responsible... :o/), but taking
half a day to come up again after a power outage is simply too
long.

I am considering patching rc(8) and commenting out the `raidctl
-P all` line, and running it via cron(8) at "@reboot", but this
seems like a hack to me. So before I venture that way, I'd rather
make sure I didn't overlook a switch or option or anything of the
like that would make `raidctl -P` return immediately while
continuing the rewriting in the background, so that rc would
continue it's work.

Any hints?

s//un