On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 07:42:00PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Siju George<sgeorge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > $ fstat /dev/audio
> > USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT        INUM MODE       R/W    SZ|DV
> > NAME
> > $
> >

> I was running skype through Linux Emulation.
> When I killed all the skype process i started getting audio.
>
> Also I am running fvwm2.
> when I move around an xterm window the sound stops.
> Is it an acceptable behavior?

I'm not sure to understand correctly. You mean it crackles
(short interruptions), or it pauses completely for a long
period?

Pausing is ``normal'', i mean that's how software was designed.

While you move a the xterm window, xterm refreshing is
blocked, so is any program trying to write text on the
terminal. It blocks on writing. So, typically a program with
a progress bar, will block while writing on the terminal,
and may stop processing audio until the xterm is unblocked.

So, all depends on the program running in the xterm. If it
supports non-blocking i/o on the terminal it wont pause,
else it will pause. IIRC mplayer, mpg321, ogg123 all block
on the terminal.

If the program can't be fixed, a simple solution is to
remove the progress bar, or whatever is causing terminal
writes.

-- Alexandre