On 22 Jun 2009, at 14:58, Thomas Pfaff wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:37:08 +0100
Gaby Vanhegan <g...@vanhegan.net> wrote:

I have a machine with 4GB RAM and a quad core Xeon processor. Will it
be able to see the full 4GB of RAM or will I have to tweak bigmem,
either by building a custom kernel (really don't want to do that) or
by using config()?

You can't use config to toggle bigmem.  You need to set the bigmem
variable to 1 in /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/amd64/machdep.c, then you
compile and install a new kernel.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BldKernel explains how.

I'd gathered that from reading one of those threads to the end. I really wanted to avoid having to build a custom kernel, especially if the results might not even work. I suppose I was just inquiring about the status of bigmem in 4.5 and if it is considered "safe" to use yet?

G.

--
Sent from my email program on my computer sitting on my desk in my house.
http://playr.co.uk/