the following pf.conf fragment allows ssh connections from the outside world

to my firewall

pass in on egress proto tcp from any to egress port ssh keep state \
  (max-src-conn 10, max-src-conn-rate 4/20, overload <brutes> flush global)

If I understand tables and pf properly, and I have a default block all in
rule
could I not change it to the following fragment and allow only those not
already
added to the <brutes> table in?

pass in on egress proto tcp from ! <brutes> to egress port ssh keep state \
  (max-src-conn 10, max-src-conn-rate 4/20, overload <brutes> flush global)