On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Emilio Perea<epe...@walkereng.com> wrote:
> There have been some changes to the default /root/.login recently that I
> don't understand, and hope someone can enlighten me.
>
> On my oldest server, the root shell is still csh, so the change is very
> noticeable:  Using the /root/.login from the 4.5 CD, when I login there
> is a terminal type prompt which has always included the proper terminal
> type as default.  The /root/.login from the current snapshot always
> results in an unknown terminal type, so I have to type in the terminal
> type myself before proceeding.  Is this as intended?
> Last login: Fri Jul 10 11:35:12 2009 from herakles.walkereng.net
> OpenBSD 4.6 (GENERIC) #58: Thu Jul  9 21:24:42 MDT 2009
> tset: unknown terminal type !*
> Terminal type? nxterm
> Erase is delete.
> Kill is control-U (^U).
> Interrupt is control-C (^C).
> Read the afterboot(8) man page for administration advice.

Something is weird about your 4.6-almost system:
 - the error from tset implies that it was passed "!*" on the command line
 - the "Erase is.../Kill is.../Interrupt is..." output implies that
tset was *not*
   passed the -Q option

The latter would seem to imply that the tset in the /root/.login file
has either been changed or it is not the tset invocation that's
causing that output.  Do you perhaps have anything in your /etc/csh.*
files?

If nothing turns up there, I suggest adding "set echo" to the top of
/root/.cshrc, and maybe "echo starting .login" and such at the top of
each sourced file, then loggin in and seeing where the problem tset is
being invoked and with what.

If that small hammer doesn't give you enough information, there's
always the big hammer: use "ktrace -i" on whatever is starting the
shell (the terminal program, the login process, whatever).

Philip Guenther