hmm, on Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:09:08AM +0100, Nicholas Marriott said that
> However, you will be glad to hear that in -current, tmux no longer issues
> these
> commands (they are not necessary and interfere with alternate screens), but if

i am using current :]

> What is copy mode missing?

nothing, i just put it on the list what is needed for tmux
to dehtrone screen :]

> > visual bell with configurable text
>
> I don't know what this means?

screen lets you do something like this:

vbell on
vbell_msg "  Wuff  ----  Wuff  "

vbell_msg appears in the bottom line when there is a bell.
it helps because flashes on the terminal are easy to miss..

> >   bind-key ' ' next      # not working, i must hit C-x C-space
>
> Works for me in xterm, I'll have to try it putty later.

c-x space still calls the layout command.  i must keep ctrl
pressed and press space to go to the next window.

> > # bind-key     previous      # i have no idea how to bind backspace

how do i bind backspace please?

>      bind '"' list-windows
>
> Although are you sure you don't want choose-window instead?

ok, this is now all right.

> You can change the length of time they appear with the display-time option.

i cannot find anything like that in the man page...

> > - no matter what i do, i can't make vim colorful..  TERM=screen
> >   just like with screen, but screen defines a TERMCAP as well.
> >   even if i do export TERM=rxvt, still everything is b&w..
>
> What does "echo $TERM" show before you attach tmux?

again, this seems to be a putty specific issue.
no problems whatsoever on local terminal.
TERM is set to xterm before i run tmux, then it changes to screen.

thanks for the answers!  it's really easy (and dangerous) to
get used to this kind of support...

-f
--
my muse turned out to be a dike