On Wed Jul 15 2009 12:31:11 GMT-0400 (EDT) , Theo de Raadt
<dera...@cvs.openbsd.org> wrote:

>> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>>> It is stuff that isn't on root's path.
>>>
>> Ok-- it turns out I am even more naive than I previously thought.
>> I can see that /usr/libexec is not in root's path on my machine
>> (maybe that's why the 'usr' part is in there?).
>>
>> But why not?
>
> Becuase it is stuff that isn't SUPPOSED TO BE on root's path.
>

> Does everyone on this list have ADD?

What was the question?

Daniel,

The purpose of libexec is to store stuff that are not actually libraries
but can philosophically be treated as libraries.  This would be
executables started by other programs, such as fingerd, which can be run
directly, but would be kind of useless since it expects to be run from
inetd.  One of the more interesting examples in OpenBSD's libexec are a
collection of helpers for login that deal with authentication.

James

--
James P. Howard, II, MPA
j...@jameshoward.us

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]