On Fri 24.Jul'09 at 18:16:26 +1200, Richard Toohey wrote:
> On 24/07/2009, at 1:47 PM, Jamie Griffin wrote:
>
> Not sure how you *upgrade* a package via ports, or have I missed the
> point?
> (You should be able to REBUILD the package from ports, but it would be
> the same version.)
>
> So the /usr/ports you get off the CD will match the environment to build
> the release packages.
>
> I think I am correct in saying that (currently) ports follow -current?
>
> But if you've installed a release, then follow the stable branch, your
> base
> is the release.  If you try and follow ports, you need to follow current
> (I know
> this is not 100% true anymore, because there are some stable ports
> again.)
>
> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20090703194735
>
> So are you trying to build OpenOffice from 4.5 /usr/ports?  Or are you
> trying to build current /usr/ports on 4.5?
>
> Thanks.

Hi

I did a fresh install and then updated my sources, ports and xenocara
using cvsup, then rebuilt the system to follow stable.

I installed openoffice3 using packages as opposed to building it from ports
because i read that is the
preferred method for installing new software. After I updated my ports
tree using cvsup and ran the ./out-of-date script and it reported that
Openoffice3 was outdated, so i tried to update it using pkg_add -u but
nothing happened so i then went into /usr/ports/editors/openoffice3/ and
did a make update (maybe that wasn't the right thing to do ??). Anyway,
a load more stuff got installed as dependencies, like jdk-1.5 (after i
had to download the sources myself, etc) and gcc-4.2.2.

Have i been going about it all wrong?

It's at this stage it failed with the error i gave.