On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Luis Useche<use...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is really close but it is not there quite yet. Even with this
> script, there could be situations where you end up deleting things you
> don't want. For instance, let say you install xfce. After some time,
> you decided to install some package X that depend on xfce and other
> library L used only by X. When using your script, it will remove not
> only L but also xfce (which you did not want to remove because you
> installed it manually).
>
> Besides, there is another problem with the script. If you imagine the
> packages installed in the system as a tree of dependencies, you can
> see that your script will only remove two levels of the branch you
> want to delete. Example: X depends on Y that depends on Z: X -> Y ->
> Z. In your script, X and Y will be removed but Z will not.
>
> It seems like an additional information should be added to the package
> database. A bit indicating if the package was installed manually by
> the user (admin?) or not. Then, the package can only be deleted if the
> the user explicitly say so as oppose to "automatic deletion as
> dependency".

This still doesn't work.  If I pkg_add eclipse, then later decide I'm
going back to vim, that doesn't mean I want all my java programs to
suddenly stop working.  What's installed manually vs not is not
reliable.  I don't think I've ever actually requested installing
unzip, but it's on every computer I use and I use it all the time.

The tools are provided to identify possibly orphaned packages.  What
to do about them should (and can) only be the user's decision.