On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 4:10 AM, Toni Mueller<openbsd-m...@oeko.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 01.08.2009 at 17:13:43 +0300, Jussi Peltola <pe...@pelzi.net> wrote:
>> Why should fork touch user id's?
>
> I was under the impression that only the effective userid should be
> inherited by a forked process, not the real user id.

Make a note that whatever source of information you got that from was
wrong and should not be trusted.  I suggest you read W. Richard
Stevens's "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment".

>> http://search.cpan.org/~tlbdk/Privileges-Drop-1.01/lib/Privileges/Drop.pm
>
> Thanks for the hint. Not knowing about that, I so far assigned to both
> uid and gid variables, and that seemed to do the trick.

Did you set $) to a string containing more than one number?  If not,
you're still wrong and should strongly consider using the module,
which has been tested by others.

Philip Guenther