First off, thanks to alex@ for all the work being put into aucat.
OpenBSD 4.5 is the first operating system where I can easily do
multitrack recording in base.

My situation is this: aucat -l is running, and I play two different
copies of an album in two mplayers: a ripped vinyl and a CD reissue,
pausing one and the other, listening to the difference.

In the moment I paused the first mplayer and launched the second
one, I noticed that the signal is much weaker. First, I took that
to be one of the differences in the two versions, but then, when I
decided which one sounded better and quit the other mplayer, the
signal got stronger again.

Does aucat somehow 'divide' the signal strengths when playing multiple
inputs (even when some are paused)? Similarly to sox(1) mixing files?

Trying the same with more than two clients (such as, five paused mplayers
and one playing, then quiting the paused ones; doesn't need to be
mplayer, happens with any other client) seems to confirm this,
but I didn't find anything about it in aucat(1).

What is the relation of 'aucat -v' to this?

        Thanks for your time

                Jan