On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:46 PM, My List Mail<emaillistem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What cipher is used to protect confidential information on the SECRET
> and TOP SECRET levels? Its not blowfish, its AES-256.

I've done IT Security work with financial institutions (banks) and
you'd be surprised how many still use DES for backward compatibility
reasons. They still have mainframes. They keep old, grey-haired guys
at Unisys busy. Here's a simple example for you... both RSA and Vasco
are big players in financial IT systems... they both do lots of DES in
their products. See these links:

http://www.rsa.com/products/bsafe/documentation/cryptocme171html/group__DESTESTS.html
http://vasco.com/products/digipass/digipass_go_range/digipass_go6.aspx

So, next time you roll-up to the ATM to grab a few hundreds while on
your way to Walmart to purchase Windows 7, perhaps you should take
some time to berate the ATM about its crypto algos.

Brad