Toni Mueller wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 11.09.2009 at 22:28:43 +0200, Maurice Janssen <maur...@z74.net> wrote:
Will the master shutdown normally, or will it stall while trying to umount the NFS share? The slaves will shutdown first, so when the master goes down, the NFS server won't be responding.

man mount_nfs

You can mount NFS shares soft. This means that it becomes less reliable
for you, but your clients won't hang if you shut down your NFS server
first.

Another option could be to somehow notify your NFS clients, so they
know that they need to unmount the NFS shares.

I tried it, but there's still a time-out of several minutes. Not ideal when the UPS might kill the power any minute.

I solved it by using upssched from nut. When the battery goes low, I umount the NFS share on the master (this is the only machine that has a share mounted on the NFS-server). The slaves will begin to shutdown a couple of seconds after the battery goes low, so this should be OK.

I'll do some tests to see if this really works as I think it does.

Maurice