i have some 960s floating around here, i'll see if i can give one of them a go with openbsd in the next few days.

On 14/09/2009, at 12:06 PM, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

Hi,

I bought a couple new dells with Broadcom BCM5716 chips on the
motherboard
for network support but everytime I boot and it gets to the starting
network
it reboots on me.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

thanks,

JB
Hi,

I got two weeks ago brand new OptiPlex 960. I think it is manufactured
in mid August of this year. It does come with Broadcom Gigabit LAN card.
I will check the chip-set for you as well post the dmesg for the
developers when I get tomorrow into my office.

There was absolutely no way to get that thing working on OpenBSD but
the installer was not rebooting on me. It just didn't see the LAN card.
I tested with Linux and it was dead as well. I just used PCI LAN card
and I am now happy camper.

On the final note I want to document one more thing for other users.
Those new DeLLs come with some kind stupid software RAID. One has to
get into the BIOS and adjust SATA controller into IDE legacy mode.
OpenBSD will not otherwise recognize the HDD and I just learned from the
fellow NetBSD user that NetBSD has the same problem.

Other than that new DeLL OptiPlex 960 is 100% functional with the
4.6 snapshot including my fancy ATi video card.

Best,
Predrag

P.S. I got this DeLL with 4Gb of RAM and OpenBSD (amd64) sees about
3.3Gb. I assume that that is normal behavior as bigmem is still not
enabled.