-----Original Message-----
From: owner-m...@openbsd.org [mailto:owner-m...@openbsd.org] On Behalf
Of openbsd misc
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 2:27 PM
To: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: OT: Old School Unix vs. Modern Day Support "Professionals"
- was (Defending OpenBSD Performance)

  >Fact of the matter is that I have
> become convinced that those that know how to actually TROUBLESHOOT
> problems are in the very small minority in this industry.

>   I think this is really the crux of the matter, I find the ability
>to troubleshoot multi-vendor complexity is getting to be a  rare
>commodity, its something thats very hard to interview people for.
>Nowadays people are so proud of their certification and specialized
>domain knowledge
>that they actively avoid learning or thinking about stuff outside of
>their specialized area.

And that is specifically my point.  People want to justify their own
worth and bloat their value beyond what it is by calling others names or
by raising their "specialization" higher than the median thereby making
themselves better about themselves.  In reality it is understanding the
median rather than the specialization that will allow one to find the
solution to the majority of problems.  So many times I tell our clients
- I don't care who's fault it is - let's just get it fixed (this is
usually in response to a finger pointing in our face by another vendor
trying to save face - blaming us for something we have absolutely no
control over...).  In order to just get it fixed one has to stop
worrying about who's fault it is and man up (or woman up - don't want to
seem discriminatory here...) and take responsibility to follow it
through to a solution.

Unix folks had to "know" what they were doing because you had to
understand how it all worked.  You actually had to read the manual and
understand what effect enabling this or disabling that would do.  The
best part is you couldn't accidentally point, click, and stop or remove
a piece of software that hoses the entire system - you had to use the
command line to do administrative tasks - which meant you had to (or
should) know the commands to use before attempting anything.  That is
why I love OpenBSD.  Everything is documented, source is available, and
you have to understand the system to use it...

...if you don't understand it - and are unhappy with the system - and
are unwilling to spend the time to learn it - then the best thing for
you to do is login as root and type in the following:

*********************
cd /
rm -rf *
*********************

...and now you learned something - DONT DO ANYTHING WIHTOUT
UNDERSTANDING IT FIRST!!!!

***  Disclaimer:  I take no responsibility for the results of running
the above commands although I would be intensely interested to hear the
results of anyone who does run them and their personal experiences
immediately following.  Run them only at your own risk AFTER
understanding what they do...

That is where these folks that want to LOUDLY complain about something
not working in OpenBSD or want to complain because feature X is not in
the OS really kill me. They try to use OpenBSD to fit into a mold that
it was not designed for and want feature X to work.  Either take the
initiative and contribute feature X, politely ask if there is a need for
feature X or if has been thought of, or be quiet.  OpenBSD works great
for everything I use it for - unfortunately until I can run MS SQL and
.NET 3.5 (yes mono is getting close - and - MySQL is maturing very
nicely in its featureset!!) to run on it I am relegated to a MS based
system for now as my work PC.  But for my firewalls and mail filtering
systems OpenBSD rocks and is rock solid.  There isn't anything I have
tried to use OpenBSD for (knowing the limitations on it - such as it
can't run apps written for Windows - which is something other people
seem to forget) that has not worked.

I never claim or even suspect that I know all the answers (but I know
where to find them) - and that is the strength and difference between
those people that know how to fix problems and those that do not.  If
you think you know it all - then there is no more room for knowledge and
you are unwilling to accept you might be wrong - which will forever
hinder your ability to learn from your mistakes.  If you approach every
problem with no preconceived notions and look at it as if you had never
seen it before you are more likely to find the right solution the first
time - and yes sometimes it is YOUR fault!

Again - feel free to obliterate my thoughts - but know that if your
comments are negative I might not and probably will not lose any sleep
over it.....

Thank you to those that continue to devote their time and money to this
project and I will make a great attempt and not extending this thread
longer than I have already..

:)