On 2009-09-30, Chris <cjd...@brokensolstice.com> wrote:
> I'm using obsd4.5, following current.

Sometimes it will work, sometimes not, but you basically get to
support yourself there.

Follow stable (OPENBSD_4_5) if you want to run stable, or run
a snapshot OS if you want to run current.

> I installed php5 using ports.
> I realized that I forgot to include something in the compile options.

There's more work to do than that. On OpenBSD (unlike some other
OS with a superficially similar system) ports *always* produces a
package first. "make install" pkg_add's it if appropriate.

So the port has to be arranged correctly for this to work
(correct packing lists, etc).

> I went back to add it, and now it won't reinstall.
>
> I added "--enable-mbstring" to the compile flags in the make file.

mbstring is in php5/extensions, the "php5-mbstring" package.
You shouldn't hack the Makefiles for something like that.