Of
> Joachim Schipper
> Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 10:58 AM
> To: misc@openbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Snort on OpenBSD
>
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 12:27:46PM +0100, Richard Brooks wrote:
> > Hello, I am trying to get some up to date information on how to
install and
> > configure Snort on a modern OpenBSD box. At the moment it seems that
Snort
> > has only limited functionality for OpenBSD, and in general seems to
prefer
> > either Linux or Windows. I have tried downloading and installing
various
> > Snort related packages/ports from OpenBSD's ftp sites to my OpenBSD
4.5 box.
> > But have had to disable various pre-processor's and dynamic rules as
the
> > libraries (shared objects) don't seem to be available for OpenBSD,
also
> > Snort seems to prefer access control lists which currently are not a
feature
> > of OpenBSD, am also having issues running Snort from the command
line and
> > have to keep rebooting to see if a modification to Snort's
configuration has
> > worked.
>
> What, specifically, fails to work?

Sometime around mid-2009 Sourcefire made rule changes that require
preprocessor updates.  I can't seem to find that announcement now.
Running -current rules on the 4.5 package broke snort for me (without
disabling a handful of pre-processors.)  I ended up building an
(unsupported) 2.8.4.1 package from -current ports which has worked for
me since August.

I believe snortsam has been referenced to go from IDS -> IPS, but I've
not used it.

-Steve S.