On 16/10/2009, at 11:39 AM, Aaron Mason wrote:

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Jason Dixon <ja...@dixongroup.net> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 03:08:11PM +1000, Aaron Mason wrote:

Something that really bugs me about web software is how they limit
themselves to MySQL.  I chose PunBB because it supported SQLite and
had a solid module base, along with a builtin update manager.

I presume you're talking primarily about bulletin boards. I know plenty
of web developers that use PostgreSQL and SQLite.  I think a better
statement would be:

"... how inexperienced web developers default to using MySQL because it has a lower barrier to entry, without considering if it's the right tool
for the job or how to configure and secure it appropriately for
production use."

You put it better than I ever could.

And if they really piss you off, you could always write your own.

Oh please don't.

I was only stating the spirit of open source - if you don't like it,
get your hands dirty and write your own.  I've written my own forum
software several times.

Did you end up getting it right?

(Sorry, I couldnt resist)

paulm