That would void the warranties on the external disks I'm afraid.

Is there no way to get this working in a stock 3.9 ?
And would it work in 4.6 ?

SWA

On 22 Oct 2009, at 20:30, Kenneth R Westerback wrote:

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 02:48:09PM +0200, Laurens Vets wrote:
Hey Swa,

I seem to have painted myself in a corner somehow.
I can't upgrade without getting the data off of the system and it
doesn't want to play nice with USB drives.

<stuff cut>

I could try to look at old school BSD stuff and think about
building a new kernel, but the amount
of "don't do that" seems to be high, so is there a better path ? Where ?

I know it's an old release, trying to fix that, but in order to
get there ...

And there's no way to temporarily add an internal disk to an onboard
IDE  port or something?

-Laurens

Just plug the temp disk in to the IDE port (hoping it doesn't appear
earlier than your existing disk in the probe or boot process!),
then do the fdisk/disklabel/newfs/mount dance, copy your data off
to the new filesystem, and it should be accessable to the new 4.6
install.

.... Ken