2009/10/29 Kasper Adel <karim.a...@gmail.com>

> thanks all for answering.
>
> Traceroute will allow me to find out if during the short period of
> application disconnect is whether its an app problem or the network
> topology
> changes and where (which router) the packets couldnt get across.
>
> Cheers,
> Kim
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Toni Mueller <openbsd-m...@oeko.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 29.10.2009 at 16:26:49 +0200, Kasper Adel <karim.a...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I am trying to troubleshoot a problem that is totally random and the
> one
> > > idea that would help me is to have a bash script that will ping a few
> > > destinations every minute, then do a traceroute to these destinations,
> > > record the time and all that output in a file. then the whole process
> > would
> > > repeat minute.
> >
> > I don't know what exactly you are going to do with the traceroute,
> > which is both hard to implement, given your timing requirements, and
> > tedious to evaluate, but if you could be content with pings and packet
> > loss, I can recommend using Smokeping with aggressive settings, and/or
> > some other things to trigger a traceroute in case of a problem.
> >

> > Kind regards,
> > --Toni++

I am playing with hping to monitor changes in "traceroutes". You can
specify which hop you want to monitor to a certain destination:

# /usr/local/sbin/hping -c 1 -1 --traceroute --tr-keep-ttl --ttl 4
openbsd.org
HPING openbsd.org (vic0 199.185.137.3): icmp mode set, 28 headers + 0 data
bytes
hop=4 TTL 0 during transit from ip=149.6.129.97 name=
vl250.mpd03.ams03.atlas.cogentco.com
hop=4 hoprtt=9.5 ms

As you can see hping will only output info about the 4th hop. Might be
usefull.

Regards,
-- Frans