i'm testing smtpd (OpenBSD/i386 -STABLE; stock GENERIC.MP)

here're the full headers from a mail i sent from a host at $work. my
domain is cna.org , not cna.org.net . but i cannot figure out if
something i have done is appending that ``.net'' after the ``.org''. my
employer doesn't even own our equivalent .net domain, so i'm not sure
this is a mail relay or something that's configured incorrectly in our
enterprise. i've seen DNS mis-configurations append things to the end of
hostnames when you forget a dot, but i can't see how that's involved
here. but if so, please educate me.

you'll see this in the envelope from and From: and a few others.

i'm aware that there is no header rewriting at the moment, so it's
perfectly OK that the hostname isn't being stripped out. but obviously
that hostname doesn't resolve in the DNS outside of our enterprise
proper. i can't suss out if that has anything to do with what i'm
seeing though. i'm assuming that's why SpamAssassin is complaining with
UNPARSEABLE_RELAY below.

my /etc/mail/smtpd.conf is very basic:

listen on lo0
map "aliases" { source db "/etc/mail/aliases.db" }
accept for local deliver to mbox
accept for all relay via "mail.cna.org"

smtpd -n returns ``configuration OK'', so i will assume that my config
is OK. it is worth noting that mail.cna.org is a not-very-`wise' product
from Novell that exhibits all sort of brain-deadness from time to time.
it's mangled by others; i have some 4.5 boxen still on base sendmail
that behaves as i expect.

i didn't attempt to obfuscate any info in the headers, as that can
sometimes cause confusion for folks who are trying to help. any nudges
in the right direction much appreciated.

final note: i'm using /usr/bin/mail -v to send these test messages.

(sorry for the odd line wraps)