On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Nick Guenther <kou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, one last question: one of the original softdep papers
> (http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/bsdcon02/mckusick.html)
> is all about how softdeps can avoid fsck, but I just set softdep on
> all my filesystems, rebooted (to start fresh), wrote some files, wrote
> some more files, edited the first files, and jacked the power plug
> right after it said "wrote". When the system came up fsck ran, what
> gives? Does OpenBSD only implement softdep for the write speedups?

All the softdep code comes from FreeBSD, but at various points, not to
mention that things that work in papers never work the same for people
who aren't writing papers.  Nobody added the background fsck code to
OpenBSD because it didn't exist when we imported softdep and nobody
has cared enough to do so since.