David S. wrote:
Hello there,

unfortunately my newly acquired Lenovo Desktop, Model Number A5790R
will Kernel Panic before during boot. The install of i386 4.6 itself
goes fine. I tried to boot with acpi disabled, to no avail. Also i
played around with various settings in the BIOS pertaining to certain
CPU Features and S-ATA Features, like EHCI, Compatible, Legacy IDE,
etc, all no help.

Please find attached the output of my Serial Console Session which
shows the Kernel Panic output, ps and trace. I could not run trace on
the other CPU, as issuing a machdep 1 hangs the Machine completely.

In case someone can help me out, id be very grateful. Also, please
snip out all the below output in replies so it looks nicer in the
thread :-)

Hi,

I had a similar issue on the following motherboard

server9# dmesg | grep SATA
ahci0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0 "ATI SB600 SATA" rev 0x00: apic 2 int 22 (irq 11), AHCI 1.1

The solution that worked for me was to just leave a data CD in the CD-ROM drive. Have not had any problems after that plus this way I was able to install 4.4, 4.5, and 4.6 on this box without having to connect and disconnect the CD-ROM drive.

In the misc@ archives there are some messages about this as well.

Vijay

--
Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.