Hi all,

apologies if this mail shows up twice - I've sent it last Sunday, but it
never showed up on the list, so I assume that it got swallowed by the
unscheduled server maintenance.

I think I need someone to hit me with a clue-by-four - or at least a
hint as to what I may be missing here:

Three weeks back, the system drive of my home server (DNS, NFS, mail, NTP,
web and firewall) crashed and as I needed to reinstall anyway, I decided
to finally upgrade from the 4.2 it was running. As I had 4.5 on the shelf,
I used that version.

The problem is: Ever since the new installation I am having problems
with NFS. On the clients (at the moment all Linux/x86), I'm getting slow
(local accounts are fine). On the server, I'm getting tons of messages
like this (/var/log/daemon):

[...]
Nov 15 18:03:19 SERVER rpc.lockd: no matching entry for CLIENT1
Nov 15 18:03:19 SERVER rpc.lockd: duplicate lock from CLIENT1.135
Nov 15 18:03:19 SERVER rpc.lockd: no matching entry for CLIENT1
Nov 15 18:03:24 SERVER rpc.lockd: duplicate lock from CLIENT1.135
Nov 15 18:03:24 SERVER last message repeated 3 times
[...]

(rpc.lockd is running with "-d4" and rpc.statd with "-d").

On the clients, I have not seen any unusual messages.

The client configuration has not changed since the re-install of the
server. The server configuration has - as far as I remember/if my notes
are correct - also not changed, with the exception of the firewall
configuration. To rule that out, I've also tried with a rule set
pass in all
pass out all
(i.e. just pass everything), but that did not change anything.

>From the announces, I've seen that (unless I missed something) the main
difference between 4.5 and 4.2 with regard to NFS is the introduction of
rpc.statd - is that right? I've been through the rpc.statd man page, the
rpc.lockd man page and tried googling the error messages, but came up
empty. With 4.2 and earlier, I never had any NFS problems, hence the
feeling that I might be missing something stupid.

If anybody could point me in the right direction (TFM, docs, debugging
ideas,... ), I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Thomas
              Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org