someone else also just pointed out the diagnostic properties of eye ache pattern off-list too.
So I guess it's  ~/.xinitrc in site.tgz for me then.

/Pete

On 19. nov.. 2009, at 21.24, J.C. Roberts wrote:

As long as you promise not to hate me for taking the other side of
things, the default background in X is actually important. It's called
the "root weave" and there are a few similar important backgrounds which
are at least equally displeasing, if not more so. The reason why they
are important is because they make it extremely easy for you to
visually detect problems in your screen output. --It might be ugly, but
regularly appreciating "ugly" has many benefits.

Let's say you fumble-finger an xrandr(1) command and change your display
settings to something that might damage your display. Having the root
weave visible might just save you the expense of replacing your monitor.

If you do insist on changing it, use the ~/.xinitrc for your user rather
than making a system-wide change.

--
J.C. Roberts