In message <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=125859873724898&w=1>,
Ted Unangst <ted.unangst () gmail ! com> wrote
[[about running firefox as root]]
> It's the easiest way to nice it to -10...

I have two reactions to this.  First, the unimportant one:
Nice it to a negative number!  Way too many sites confuse it enough
to trigger infinite or near-infinite loops, so I keep it niced to a
*positive* number (currently +6, though I've used +10 in the past)...

Now the important one:  To me, the obvious way to nice firefox (or
anything else with a /bin/sh startup script) to -10 is to use a setuid-root
perl script to either renice itself before invoking the usual firefox
startup script, or to renice the firefox binary after it starts running.
I'm sure Ted thought of this... so I'm wondering why he rejected this?
In particular, assuming the programmer RTFM perlsec, is there a security
risk for setuid-root perl scripts that I've missed?

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]"
<jth...@astro.indiana-zebra.edu>