On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 02:56:05PM -0500, Brynet wrote:
> Rodrigo Amorim Bahiense wrote:
> > Actually, I'm used to recommend nvidia cards (desk & laptop)
> > for most people because they do support most open source systems
> > (Linux, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris), which is way better than ati at least.
>
> ATI(..now AMD) releases full NDA-free documentation on their graphics
> chipsets, for both 2D and 3D acceleration.
>
> http://developer.amd.com/documentation/guides/Pages/default.aspx#open_gpu
> http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/
>
> They officially supported development of open source drivers, and 2
> independent drivers exist including xf86-video-ati(4) and
> xf86-video-radeonhd(4), both supported under OpenBSD with full hardware
> graphics acceleration (..DRM/DRI).
>
> Their binary-blog fglrx driver does not support BSD, this is not a bad
> thing.
>
> nVidia refused to do any of this, concerns of IP theft and such.. funny
> considering practically all other players in the graphics chipset market
> have released hardware documentation and/or reference open source code.
>
> http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/
> http://linux.via.com.tw/
>
> Matthieu Herrb has no need explaim himself to you, they're are pretty
> obvious reasons for avoiding them.. he is also on the offical board of
> directors for the Xorg project.
>
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/BoardOfDirectors
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> -Bryan.

Thank you very much for clarifying things back to me, now I understand
how equivocated I was and really appreciate the time you spent to reply
my message.

As said: I'm not a fanboy. I "thought" nvidia was doing something
that was good enough to me, but actually isn't helping the community at
all. The part about ati/amd was a bad call, I'm sorry for not knowing
how much they are contributing now.

I had no idea who Matthieu Herrb was, I just replied with "what I know"
expecting to see "what you know", afterall this is a discussion list. I
won't apologize for "wasting" someone elses time, but I also won't be
unthankful about it.

I should've definitely read more about how things are now before
replying, but I had no idea that some people would take it as ofense or
"bad user mentality". Even if you felt that way somehow, you spent
time to gather things up and send back to me. And for that I'm very
thankful, as always.

--Rodrigo