On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:35:27 -0500
"Josh Grosse" <j...@jggimi.homeip.net> wrote:

> Yes it is possible, but not in the way you outline.  A
> single disk can only have one disklabel, regardless of
> the number of MBR partitions... and only a single, A6 MBR
> partition should be configured.

Is this really true? As I understand the disklabel will be
stored in the partition boot record?
I just have to make sure the kernel selects the right
disklabel. I assume OpenBSD automatically selects the one
from the active partition?

Why only a single A6 partition?

> You can have multiple systems installed in different
> disklabel partitions, however.  e.g.  You could install
> -current into, for example, wd0p.  Then, at the boot>
> prompt, just do something like "boot hd0p"/bsd  -a", and
> respond with "wd0p" as your root kernel.

Ok, that's what I would have done with linux. But on BSD
this violates against the "a is root" rule. Will this cause
trouble? If not the rest should be easy.

> Note that the bsd.rd installation script will reformat
> and use the "a" partition as the root partition, and this
> is outside of operator control. This will be a problem.
> You must either relabel partitions with disklabel(8) or
> modify the scripts.   (Note also that relabelling mounted
> on a running system is a very bad idea.  Do it when
> running bsd.rd, so that root partitions are unmounted, if
> you choose this method.)
>
> The -easiest- way to multiboot two OpenBSD systems is to
> use a second disk (even a USB stick).

that's surely true, but I have neither one handy.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]