On Monday 21 December 2009 22:48:45 James Hozier wrote:
> This will be my first purchase that is focused primarily on having only
> OpenBSD on it and nothing else to be used as a main workstation. The budget
> is around $900 or so. I'm looking for something with quality parts and
> probably have everything supported and compatible with OpenBSD straight out
> of the box (like the graphics/sound, wireless card, etc.)
>
> I've heard that most developers use Thinkpads. Which model would be a
> good suggestion?

A problem is that $900 isn't going to get you a thinkpad and a multi-year
warranty.  If you stay away from nvidia video, just about all the thinkpads
are going to work with the ooccaisonal exception of the wireless card, and
I'm not sure that hasn't shrunk a bunch, the ones that don't work.  My W500
runs OpenBSD wonderfully.

Looking at the Lenovo site I see a T500 with a 15" screen with *led* back
light, 160G disk 2.4G core two something, intel wifi and intel graphics
for $849.  I don't know the status of the Intel graphics card, but you
could get that, except it has a 1 year warranty.  There are discounts
if you can get it through an educational organization, etc.

--STeve Andre'