Jacob Meuser wrote:
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:28:22AM -0600, Chris Bennett wrote:
Jacob Meuser wrote:
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 06:57:35PM -0600, Chris Bennett wrote:
Jacob Meuser wrote:
The direction part is clear except for the input-vr0, input-vr50,
input-vr80.
For what reason would I pick each of these? Is this used to reduce
excessively loud inputs?
to be able to use common consumer microphones, you usually need to
have it's jack/pin set for 50% or better VRef.  line level inputs
should use Hi-Z (0% VRef) which is just 'input'.  yes, that needs
to be explained better in the manual.

What were or weren't  the vendor things?
in the case of your codec, nothing.  others vary.  some are for
power saving switches and some completely undocumented.

Do I see this correctly:
I could play 6 channels with mplayer.
0:1 to one output.
2:3 to another
4:5 to adc-4:5 to sp/dif and then decode that stream externally.
you can't output to an adc.  adc is the opposite of dac.

This would then give 5.1 output.
This may seem a little weird to do, but older Sony 5.1 receivers
that are "broken" with easy to fix cold solder joints are only about
$25 to buy.
it may be possible to mix analog and digital output with azalia
hardware, but it is not possible with the azalia driver.  to be able
to do that, there would need to be another layer of connections
exposed in the mixer.  for now it's either all digital or all analog.

Thanks, that all very clear to me now!

Of course, my problems never seem to end lately.
mplayer -channels 6 works just fine, this leaves playback through
spkr with only background music.
are you using aucat?  mplayer -channels 6 shouldn't work with your
device, unless it's downmixing quietly.

I thought that I could hear another pair of channels with 2:3 but
even when I plug in a set of speakers or a mic, I can't get anything
but unplugged from anything other than spkr.

These are from the three jacks on the back of motherboard
I have tried changing dir to output from input etc, but nothing
works except spkr

Am I doing/thinking wrong here or is something not working correctly?
are you saying outputs.line-in_sense doesn't change when you plug
something into the line-in jack?

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, I have tried plugging both my mic and speaker in all three
By plugging in my mic into speaker, it also shows as plugged.
So my mic is ok and not the problem.

At this point, I suspect that this motherboard is also defective.
This one was not my first choice, that one was defective.
What a crappy two weeks for parts!

it's possible the makers of the motherboard didn't wire up the jack
presence detection circuitry for all the pins/jacks.  in that case,
though, they're supposed to have the BIOS set the presence detect
override bit for those pins in the codec descriptor.

this issue is common with the front headphone jack on replacement
motherboards.  the front headphone jack isn't on the motherboard
itself, so the board maker has no way of knowing if the jack has
presence detection circuitry.

Well, you are right about front jack sense not working.
I didn't have the front jacks (only speaker and mic) connected until now.
However, I have now discovered that only the front panel mic jack works.
There is a spkr, line-in and mic jack built-in to the motherboard.
Only spkr works as far as I can tell.

I tested with aucat recording and mplayer playing back wav
Front panel mic and spkr, ok
built-in, only spkr works

  -- Robert Heinlein