On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 09:24:04PM -0800, Allen wrote:
> I've got a sparc u5 with running openbsd. I need to re-install Solaris on
> this system. It's been a long time since I've worked on this system, and I'm
> having trouble booting to the Solaris cd. I can't get the system to boot to
> the original openbsd disk that I used to install the OS.
>
> Is this the operating systems that is preventing me from booting to cd? I
> can mount the cd after booting to openbsd and see the contents of the cd, I
> thought that might be a helpful piece of information.

How are you booting the cdrom? Usually 'boot cdrom' is enough, but you
may have messed up your device aliases.

You could try 'show-disks', select the cdrom, then type 'boot ' followed
by CTRL+Y. This should insert the full hardware address of the cdrom.
Try this then if that does not work, try adding ':f' on the end.

Having said that, the u5 may have an old openboot version with no show-disks
support.

Failing this, try a netboot?

PS.
The solaris installer is dumb and will probably fail to detect a disk
with a BSD disk label on it. There is another step you will need to do
in the 'format' utility in solaris related to the partition table. I
forget the exact details. Go googling.

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett