Bryan wrote:
I pulled down the latest CVS this morning (around 1800 UTC on 4 Jan
2010) and built the kernel according to the FAQ, nothing special
included, just GENERIC.MP, and I've made no hardware changes to the
system.  When I boot using a 1 Jan kernel, there are no issues.  When
I reboot after building the new kernel, the system boots up until you
get to "scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets", and then hangs.  no crash,
just stops booting.

I've managed to track it down to my DVD drive.  If I remove the drive
from the laptop and boot with the new kernel, there are no issues.
Here is what the 1 Jan kernel says the DVD is:

cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <TSSTcorp, DVD+-RW TS-L632H, D600> ATAPI
5/cdrom removable
cd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2

I cannot see a difference in the dmesg from 1 Jan and 4 Jan up to the
point where 4 Jan hangs.  Even setting "verbose" at the "boot" prompt
shows nothing.

As this laptop does not have a serial port, I can only give a dmesg
from the 1Jan kernel.  If you require more information, please reply.

So I am not the only one... The breakage happens with the commits that introduce scsi_xs_sync (rev. 1.150 from src/sys/scsi/scsi_base.c etc.). If I check out the files in the scsi directory from before that commit the kernel boots fine, it hangs with the version mentioned above.

Kind regards,
  Markus