Jurgen/Pete - thanks for your replies, but it seems that I wasn't clear - my question is how to do fresh-install of OpenBSD with the new kernel discovering and trying to use the old RAID partition. I ultimately solved this problem by rebooting using the old kernel and running `raidctl -A no raid0`. This way the new kernel doesn't try the automatically mount the old RAID partition anymore...

BTW, I'm wondering if I'm wrong about SoftRAID - can it now contain the root partition like RAIDframe? - looking at softraid(4), I don't see anything like `raidctl -A root <dev>` and I thought I read Marco saying that it's planned but a thing called "life" keeps getting in the way: (http://www.mail-archive.com/misc@openbsd.org/msg69397.html)

Thanks,
Kent