Thank you for replying.
As you can see from the first line of my post, I'm running -release, and not -current, and I don't plan to run -current since I'm very happy with an upgrade twice a year for the moment. Actually, since the link you provided was from end october, I tried installing it but the nic does not come up at all. On my machine I had previously installed iwn-firmware-5.1, now I have iwn-firmware-5.1p0, but the situation is exactly as per my first post.

So, why does 'ping' hang there and does not give 'packet loss' error, as it did until two days ago?