On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Brynet wrote:

> Several BIOS updates appear available for your motherboard as well
> perhaps one of them will solve the problem

Thanks for the pointer, I had the latest when I looked but I guess 04 came
out since then. In fact, when I went to download it today, it had already
jumped to 05. I spent *way* too much time updating the bios :(, it's an
embedded box with no floppy (just an internal HD and a CF in a CF->IDE
adapter). I lost count of the contortions of boot images and boot methods
(USB cdrom, various CF images) I went through but finally managed to get
the latest bios on, with no change in behavior <sigh>.

> Nothing in the "ReadMe.txt" files indicates any ACPI related fixes.. but
> A04 does seem to add some kind of support for a Winbond sensor.

Looks like that Winbond part number is a flash chip.

> You should probably try a -CURRENT snapshot, before reporting problems
> you see in 4.6.

After updating the bios I booted the latest 4.6-current kernel, which still
had the problem, so I submitted a bug.

Thanks much for the help...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/