Hi

I've often used the command "tcpdump -n -e -ttt -i pflog0" to view PF log in real time. I've decided to try and use it in order to log in real time PF through syslog. The solution described in the PF FAQ to log to syslog works in time intervals, which doesn't meet my needs in my current setup. I tried piping the output of "tcpdump -n -e -ttt -i pflog0" through logger(1), and send it to syslog(8) using the complete command: "tcpdump -n -e -ttt -i pflog0 | logger -t PF -p local7.notice". I setup syslog.conf: "local7.* /var/log/firewall.log", but the file "/var/log/firewall.log" remains empty. trying the command: "tcpdump -n -e -ttt -i pflog0 | logger -t PF -f /var/log/firewall.log" also leaves the file empty. As a last resort I tried: "tcpdump -n -e -ttt -i pflog0 >& /var/log/firewall.log", but that also didn't work and left the file /var/log/firewall.log empty). Running tcpdump with "-l" (output buffering) solve the clear text redirection into a file, but doesn't work with logger(1) (it simply ends the process silently after 1 second or so). Does anyone have a suggestion how to fix this so I can have real time PF logging sent to syslog?

Please try and help me solve the problem and don't try to convince me to drop either the real time logging and/or the use of syslog (I can't).

--
TIA
Paolo