Hi Matthew,

Matthew Szudzik wrote on Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:46:38PM +0000:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 12:24:15AM +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:

>> It would be bad advice to disable the daily/weekly/monthly jobs
>> on all non-server systems.  I mean, when the machine is switched off,
>> they do no harm.  When the machine is occasionally running during the
>> night, they will at least run from time to time, which usually won't
>> do any harm either and might even be useful.

> You must have missed my earlier message in this thread
>
>  http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=126436422607058
>
> I argue that the daily/weekly scripts can be harmful on laptops.

No doubt.
I do regard that as a valid point.
In fact, that message is what i had in mind when i wrote

 "The afterboot(8) manual already encourages people to review and
  customize the root crontab - so if somebody has good reasons to not
  run daily(8) at 1:30 AM, the advice to change it is already there."

> My laptop never runs during the middle of the night, except when I'm
> doing important mission-critical work.

My assumption was that PCs running during the night are more often
used for playing, or surfing, or chatting, or were simply forgotten
to be switched off.  The discussion which is more common - nightly
slacking or urgent nightly work - seems somewhat moot not that we
have started it.  ;-)

[...]
> In my case, it is best to disable the cronjobs for the daily/weekly
> scripts and to run them manually instead.

Sure, so by all means, do it.

Yours,
  Ingo