"Jeremy O'Brien" <obrien6...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 09:08:38PM -0500, Brynet wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know not everyone uses OpenBSD for a desktop OS, but I have been for
> > nearly 5 years and I'm quite curious about some of your opinions? do you
> >  embrace minimalism or pure aesthetics? are the two mutually exclusive?
> >
> > When I started using OpenBSD (..around 3.7) I was frequently switching
> > between window managers, tweaking.. but for 2 years now I've been using
> > fluxbox and I believe I'm comfortable with it.
> >
> > * Do you use one of the bundled window managers like
> > cwm(1)/twm(1)/fvwm(1) or something else?
>
> xmonad after spending a lot of time getting ghc 6.10 set up.

They was a work in progress for that. Sad that it does not finish, and
that the experimental port is not available anymore.

http://www.mail-archive.com/po...@openbsd.org/msg20144.html

I use xmonad too.

> > * What other utilities do you find useful, any "dockapps" or similar
> > applets? personal customizations?

xfce-panel, uxterms, gajim, gmpc, mpd, mplayer, irssi, screen (I have
to test tmux), midori or firefox, emacs or (original) vi, xcompmgr,
unclutter.

> > * Do you try to keep things uniform across other desktops?

Not really. I have some config file for some special apps on a server,
as .emacs, .gtkrc-2.0, .screen, .Xdefaults, .xmonad.

> > * What does your environment look like? anyone willing to post
> > screenshots or actual workspace photos?

I do not have any openbsd screenshot, But it is almost the same as my
linux. Here is a screenshot. Maybe I'll update it this evening with an
openbsd one.

http://texitoi.eu/~texitoi/screenshot.png

--
Guillaume Pinot               http://www.irccyn.ec-nantes.fr/~pinot/

+ Les grandes personnes ne comprennent jamais rien toutes seules, et
c'est fatigant, pour les enfants, de toujours leur donner des
explications... ; -- Antoine de Saint-Exupiry, Le Petit Prince

()  ASCII ribbon campaign      -- Against HTML e-mail
/\  http://www.asciiribbon.org -- Against proprietary attachments