Allow me to speak from another perspective.  It all depends on $$, and the
network you have and how much leverage the security team has.

Usually, the security team does not have as much leverage and needs to play
catch up.

Understand this - no matter which solution you choose,
IDS/IPS/opensource/commercial, *someone* has to dedicate time to watching
the logs and alerts, or you might as well not do it.

When we implemented ours, my IPS guy spent half a year analyzing the
traffic, working out with each team on documenting every single traffic
pattern.  Once that is done, we flipped the switch and turned the monitoring
into prevention mode.

And unless you have a huge security team, I'll take every bit of help I can
take - I used to be against IPS (preferring IDS instead), but after living
with it for 3 years, I'll take IPS to knock off some of the crap.

Just don't get ISS crap.

Also, snort is good, but you must know what you're doing.  Our snort box,
running on an old throw away box, and only capturing/analyzing 10 minutes of
every hour, is giving us *MORE* useful data than half a mil worth of ISS
crap.

And the commercial version, sourcefire, is even better.  My ex-coworkers at
another place just had a shoot out of 10G devices, and sourcefire came out
heads and shoulders against everyone else.

--
http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk